MINISTER OF MUSIC POSITION DESCRIPTION
South Church in Andover, MA (UCC)
Minister of Music
We are searching for a candidate who sees the church and its music as a true calling. Our Minister of Music will bring to this endeavor a pastoral heart, will cherish music makers of all sizes and abilities, and will foster collaboration in the service of God and God’s people.
Our next Minister of Music must be an accomplished church musician—teacher, practitioner, leader, and co-creator of the worship service. Ideally we are looking for a skilled choral director and organist, but we are open to suggestions for alternative leadership structures.
This is planned as a full-time position. Proposals for shared responsibility will also be considered. 5+ years of applicable experience are desirable.
The Minister of Music is responsible to the Senior Pastor. The Minister of Music will meet weekly with staff colleagues (clergy, program and administrative staff) to plan, coordinate, and execute our programs and ministries. We look to our Minister of Music to thoughtfully weave and integrate music that enhances and reflects the Sunday theme and text.
The Minister of Music works with the Music Committee monthly to oversee the music ministry: development, planning, management, and coordination.
The Minister of Music participates in monthly meetings of the Church Council (the body charged with the church’s vision and programs). This offers the opportunity to hear feedback and explore new opportunities for the music program.
The Minister of Music serves as the key individual who supports, inspires, and coordinates the worship life of the church through congregational, choral, and instrumental music. The Minister of Music will:
- Plan, direct, perform, and/or supervise the music for all regular and special services of worship in consultation with our Clergy or Pastors. They must employ a pastoral approach, openness to diverse styles of music, sensitivity to the balance of the familiar and unfamiliar, and make primary use of the diverse musical talents within the congregation as well as occasional professional support.
- Coordinate musical activities within the church to ensure a balanced, integrated approach and presentation.
- Maintain and build a vital and exciting music program based initially on the existing ensembles, but with the expectation of future expansion. Encourage, engage, and mentor congregational participation in the church’s musical life. Recruit congregational talent for our choirs and music groups. Offer non-performance opportunities, (e.g., hymn sings).
- Support the continuation of the all-church Musical.
- Work with the Music Committee to support the program, prepare and administer the music budget, and hire musical personnel. Arrange for music leadership during vacation and other absences.
- Develop and nurture relationships with churches and music programs in the wider community, and encourage collaborative activities and events for the church and town.
- Play weddings and funerals (additional compensation in accordance with church guidelines).
- Oversee the use, care, and maintenance of our musical instruments and libraries.
About South Church
Our white-steepled church stands as a beacon in Andover, yet we attract visitors and members from across the Merrimack River Valley and beyond. As an Open and Affirming member of the United Church of Christ, we are a diverse congregation with a rich mix of young and old, gay and straight, single and partnered, believer-since-birth and spiritual-but-not-religious.
Music is a crucial part of both our community and spiritual life. Our congregation includes many fine vocal and instrumental musicians that provide the basis for a range of musical activities (see list below).
Currently, we have one worship service per week: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. (9:30 a.m. in summer)
Current music ensembles:
Sanctuary Choir: Sunday worship service (20+ volunteer singers)
Cherub choir: pre-music readers
Youth Choir: middle and high school students
Jubilation Ringers: Handbell choir performing approximately 4 times a year
The Pickers: A folk instrumental/vocal group performing approximately once a month
South Church Players: Spring musical stage productions produced for nearly 30 years
Summer soloists: volunteers from the congregation
Bozeman tracker organ, Steinway concert grand piano, 3-octave set of English handbells, 3-octave set of chimes, Orff instrument collection
TO APPLY: Please send your CV (PDF) and cover letter, addressing your fit for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
South Church in Andover is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion.